History

1938

It becomes clear to Air Commodore Chamier that a second World War is coming. He institues the Air Defence Cadet Corps (ADCC) to supply the RAF with young men that will have a head start in their basic training.

1941

The ADCC not only provided basic training, but the cadets contributed enormously to the work of the RAF in the Battle of Britain. The Government adopts the ADCC and makes it a branch of the RAF. On 5th February the Air Training Corps is formed.

1953

With the reduction in aircraft numbers following the war it was necessary to create Volunteer Giding Schools across the UK so that cadets could still learn the principles of airmanship. Early gliders were winch launched and had an open cockpit

1956

The Duke of Edinburgh's Award is launched and the ATC begin delivering award sections through its programme of activities. The ATC is the world's largest operator of the scheme with hundreds of cadets gaining awards each year.

1958

Air Experience Flights were formed to provide powered flight training. The first aircraft operated were Chipmunks, then Bullsdogs and, presently, the Tutor. Today the aircraft are also used to train new RAF Pilots such as HRH the Duke of Cambridge.

1962

The ATC was presented with its own banner by HRH, Duke of Edinburgh who had taken up the post of Air Commodore-in-Chief of the ATC on the death of King George VI.

1964

on 24th March the Air Council gives permission for the creation of an ATC squadron in Lymm.

1972

The new Lymm squadron proves to be successful and is granted premises at Park Road, Lymm. The first building is a Spooner Hut provided by the Ministry of Works.

1980

It was decided to allow females to join the Air Training Corps on a 2 year trials. This proved successful and female cadets were soon flying solo and earning Gold DofE Awards.

2016

The old spooner hut is demolished and a £300,000 replacement is installed. These new facilities should ensure 2137 squadron operates for decades to come.

© 2023 by 2137 Sqn.